Sunday, April 26, 2009

In the beginning

I've read a lot of the Bible. Can't say I've read all of it.

And I'm ready to make a commitment to reading from the Bible daily. And I will be blogging as I go!

To start, I looked at a variety of website that give you a plan to read the Bible in a year... or the New Testament in a year... or the book of whatever in a month.

But I'm feeling a need to start where I am called to start. That's how I've used my Bible for the past decade or more. I seek when I feel the call and I usually find something that speaks to me.

So I'm going to start with Acts. And for my first day's reading, I'm going to read Acts 1. If you'd like to read it but don't have a Bible... you can read it here.

Here's my summary. Jesus ascends into Heaven. The apostles gather together. Judas has to be replaced. They have 2 candidates, pray about it, cast votes, and Matthias becomes the new apostle.

Sounds like a reality show!

What I'm taking from it... that the apostles witnessed the ascension into heaven and were then told that Jesus would return the same way. That's an important message- that Jesus will return.

10They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. 11"Men of Galilee," they said, "why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven."

There are also some references to the Old Testament and predictions given there about what will happen- what they are seeing happen.

Mention is made of Judas' death. That he used his money to buy a field and that is where he took his life.

18(With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out. 19Everyone in Jerusalem heard about this, so they called that field in their language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood.)

Until tomorrow... Peace,
Liz

No comments:

Greetings!

On April 26, 2009, my pastor spoke about the importance of reading the Bible. I got honest with myself- I don't read it regularly and haven't since high school. He issued a challenge. Read the Bible daily for 6 weeks. I'm taking that challenge and will share my daily readings and thoughts and experiences here. Feel free to join me!